Reports to: Edible Playgrounds Manager
Location: London (some UK travel)
Salary band: £24,150
Edible Playgrounds transform areas in school grounds into vibrant outdoor spaces that excite and teach children about growing and eating healthy food. You will be part of the engagement team, who support schools for a year after their Edible Playground has been built. You will create planting plans, growing guides and work with teachers to link these into their teaching plans. You will also develop curriculum resources and deliver training to teachers and pupils. Your biggest challenge will be to influence teachers to come out of their classroom and into the garden. You will work mostly with primary schools (some secondary) in London and possibly other UK cities.
Who we are
Trees for Cities is the only charity working on an international scale to create greener cities. We have been in existence for 25 years engaging communities to plant trees in parks, streets, schools and housing estates across the UK, as well as internationally, revitalising these areas and improving the lives of the people who live in them. We strengthen communities through volunteering opportunities.
What we’re looking for
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly within a busy team and fast-paced working environment.
- Ability to demonstrate strong project management skills to deliver multiple projects at once.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, able to engage with confidence and authority with pupils, teachers, headteachers and the wider school community.
- Experience of leading outdoor workshops and events with schools, community or volunteer groups about food growing.
- Good working knowledge of growing fruit and vegetables and general horticulture. Strong excel skills and confident recording data for monitoring and evaluation.
How to apply
Click here to view full job description on our website. Download and complete the application form and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Edible Playgrounds Coordinator’.
Closing date to apply is midnight on Thursday 24th October 2019.
Interview dates: Wednesday 30th and Thursday 31st October 2019.
If you are selected for interview you will normally be contacted within two weeks of the closing date. If you do not hear from us within this period then you should assume that, unfortunately, on this occasion you have been unsuccessful.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS check.
Trees for Cities is an equal opportunities employer.