Who we are
Trees for Cities is an independent charity that engages local people and volunteers to plant and protect trees and green spaces in towns and cities worldwide. We work across the UK and internationally. We cultivate lasting change in urban neighbourhoods by revitalising forgotten spaces, creating healthier environments and getting people excited about growing and eating healthy food.
We are currently seeking a new Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees. We have undergone significant organisational growth and development over recent years and have an ambitious and exciting new strategy to deliver.
The Treasurer will maintain an overview of Trees for Cities’ financial position, in particular its financial viability, and will ensure that effective financial measures, controls, records, policies and procedures are maintained.
The Treasurer will work closely with the Chair, other Trustees, the CEO, the Head of Finance and other senior staff to ensure the charity is pursuing its vision and mission and achieving agreed objectives through its financial strategy and management.
In addition to the skills, experience and qualities required of all Trustees, the Treasurer will need to be a qualified accountant (SoRP experience is strongly desirable) or an experienced leader with significant finance and budgetary responsibilities.
- To ensure that the Board of Trustees is properly informed about its financial duties and responsibilities;
- To oversee the presentation and approval of budgets, internal management accounts and annual financial statements to the Board of Trustees, and the preparation and presentation of financial reports to the Board;
- To assure the financial resources of Trees for Cities meet its present and future needs and to lead in the development and implementation of appropriate financial reserves and cost-management policies;
- To ensure the organisation is compliant with legislation applying to its financial activities and that appropriate accounting policies, procedures, systems and controls are in place;
- To oversee Trees for Cities’ financial risk-management processes;
- To liaise with the Head of Finance and the CEO about financial matters, advising on the financial implications of Trees for Cities’ strategic and business plans, and contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation;
- To ensure Trees for Cities has an appropriate reserves policy that is adhered to;
- To ensure Trees for Cities has an appropriate investment policy, monitoring the charity’s investment activity and ensuring its consistency with the organisation’s objects, policies and legal responsibilities. To ensure that Trees for Cities’ assets are adequately maintained and insured;
- To ensure that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by external funders and relevant statutory bodies, e.g. The Charity Commission, the Registrar of Companies. Ensure the accounts are externally audited and any recommendations are implemented;
- To act as a signatory on charity cheques/bank and important applications to funders, as required;
- To sit on recruitment, appraisal and other panels as required;
- To Chair the Finance subcommittee and to report back to the Board of Trustees;
- Provide on-going support and mentoring to the Head of Finance.
- Knowledge and understanding of current charity finance and fundraising practice;
- Knowledge and understanding of SOFA, VAT and statutory accounting requirements;
- Senior Financial Management experience, preferably in a third sector organisation. The Treasurer will be a qualified member of a recognised professional body;
- Excellent financial analysis skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Personable with good team skills.
- Experience of the environmental sector;
- Experience of being a charity trustee or company director;
- Experience of strategic or business planning.
Quarterly board meetings and Finance Subcommittee meetings in London (generally Wednesday afternoons); ad hoc meetings and events, as required.
This is a voluntary position, but reasonable expenses are reimbursed.
How to apply
You can download the full job description here. If you are interested in applying (or would like to learn more about the role), please email firstname.lastname@example.org including a CV and short covering statement.
We have an open recruitment process for this role and so will consider applications as they are received.