As part of our Forgotten Places: Greening Coastal Towns and Cities project, this planting season we're connecting our coastal residents with nature, to improve knowledge and skills needed to plant, protect and promote urban trees!
Our free Introduction to Urban Tree Planting course is designed for anyone in Bexhill, Brighton, Great Yarmouth, Hull, Portsmouth, Ramsgate and Stockton-On-Tees who are eager to learn more about the wonders of planting trees specifically in urban areas.
The training will be split into two parts: an online introduction and two in-person practical sessions in Bexhill, Hull and Stockton-on-Tees. If you can't make it down to the in-person practical sessions, you are still welcome to join our online introduction.
It is a beginner level course and no previous experience is required to join. Anyone considering getting involved in planting trees themselves or planning their own tree planting activities are highly encouraged to take part!
What will I learn?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the key benefits of urban trees
- Recognise different types of tree stock and their suitability for different sites
- Understand key factors that determine the right tree for different types of sites
- Be confident in basic planting techniques and planting considerations
- A broader understanding about why we need urban trees
- Greater confidence in engaging with people about planting trees
- Confidence in leading and supporting planting activities with groups of volunteers
Dates and Times
Online introduction session:
The online introduction session will prepare you for the following practical sessions. Join us online on the below dates to get to know each other and learn more about what the course has to offer.
Sign ups for online sessions are now closed.
Practical planting sessions:
The practical sessions will be held in Bexhill, Hull and Stockton and will teach you all about how to plant urban trees and the importance of maintenance and aftercare. These sessions will take place on:
- 28th November 2022 (Stockton)
- 19th December 2022 (Hull)
- 17th January 2023 (Bexhill)
You’ll be learning from the experts themselves - us! We’ve been planting urban trees for nearly 30 years, so you are in great hands.