We are calling all schools to make a short film about food growing in your playground/open space. NB: The deadline for submissions has now passed - check back soon to see the shortlisted entries!
Get those cameras at the ready! Along with energy company Bulb, we are launching a Grow On, Film It competition for schools to show us the effects food growing has on the pupils and staff.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re growing a few herbs in a small window box or a feast’s worth of different fruits and vegetables in multiple raised beds, we want to see how you do it.
Be as imaginative and creative as you can! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Say a poem about the garden
- Tell the story from seed to plate
- Show us how school life has changed since growing at school
- Show us how the growing can be incorporated into the curriculum
- Let us know about your gardening skills and why your plants grow so well
- Share how the gardening encourages a deeper connection to nature
You might decide to add songs, graphics, comedy – it’s totally up to you, though ensure you keep the films under 3 minutes long. Points will be awarded for imagination, so get those thinking caps on. We can’t wait to see what you produce!
Here's a poster containing all the details of the competition. Maybe you'd like to hang it on the wall? NB: A3 format.
1st: £200 gardening voucher
2nd: £100 gardening voucher
3rd: £50 gardening voucher
All entrants will receive spring seed packs.
The deadline for submissions has now passed - check back soon to see the shortlisted entries!
Here's the last 'Grow On, Film It' winner for a bit of inspiration:
Up to 5 shortlisted films will be published on our website, celebrating the great work your school is doing – and we have some excellent prizes to hand out to the winners!
So how should you do it?
- Use a smartphone, iPad or video camera. But if you decide to use a smartphone or tablet, make sure you always shoot in landscape view.
- Steady equals ready – use two hands and try not to move around too much.
- Let there be light – mornings and afternoons make for the best lighting.
- Add music, graphics, testimonials and anything else you like.
- Trim it down if it's longer than 3 minutes.
- Contact name
- Your school’s name
- Number of pupils involved in growing at your school.
Once we have received your film we’ll get in touch to confirm receipt.
We will keep the rights to the shortlisted films and may use as a resource for ourselves and our partners. Please therefore understand that each of the shortlisted schools will be expected to sign a disclaimer.